Thursday, January 11, 2007

I'm going to run the Boston Marathon

Putting it in writing makes it true, right?

I decided I wanted to run Boston last year, but it seemed unrealistic. My previous two marathons were 4:08 (Chicago 2004) and 3:51 (Pacific Shoreline 2006).

This year, it seems possible. I'm currently training for the Pacific Shoreline Marathon. It's 2/4/07. If things go as scheduled, I should run somewhere between 3:20 and 3:30. Training has gone well.

My Boston qualifying time is 3:15. I know I won't make it this time. If I wait two years and two months (when I turn 40), my qualifying time is 3:20. That five minutes can make a big difference.

Hmm.... Just checked the Boston Athletic Association website. (Thank goodness for tabbed browsing.) It seems for the past year or so, I've misunderstood qualifying. If I run a 3:15 at 37 years, I can run Boston. However, it seems that if I run a 3:20 at 37 years, I can wait until 2009 and run Boston when I'm 40. Woohoo!

Boston, here I come.

No comments: