Saturday, February 3, 2007

Fueling for the marathon

Thursday I started my fueling plan for the marathon. I found this great article at mcmillanrunning.com. It's very detailed and I've been trying to follow it. You eat carbs constantly for three days.

When I say constantly, I mean it. 600 grams of carbs per day for me (4 grams per pound of body weight). You can't do it in three meals. It requires constant vigilance.

Oh, and I'm supposed to drink 8 oz. water every hour as well. Friday looked like this:

Homemade 24 oz. smoothie (100g carbs)
Raisin bran & milk (54g)
Chocolate milk (40g)
Weight loss shake (44g)
Chow fun and brown rice (~125g)
Granola bar (22g)
Another weight loss shake (44g)
Raisin bran (again, 54g)
Chocolate milk (again, 40g)
And for dinner, spaghetti (~50g)

And the water. About 100 oz. (0g)

That left me with 27g to go, so I sucked down a 16 oz. Gatorade before bed. I was feeling stuffed and light-headed. Of course, that could have been work, frustration, excitement and lack of sleep exercise and lack of sleep. Or it could be my body telling me, "Eat some freaking fat, you idiot!"

No comments: