Thursday, January 18, 2007

Runner's soliloquy: to skip or not to skip?

I used to love skipping runs. It was like skipping school. But I hate skipping marathon training runs. Which I did today.

So I'm lying in bed, dealing with self-loathing and malaise. I'm fighting terrible allergies, which lead to a sore throat and insomnia. The insomnia leads to fatigue and decreased immune function. The fatigue leads to skipping runs. Which I did today.

One internal voice says, "Sickness above the neck doesn't affect running performance. Get your shoes on."

Another says, "If you run yourself down, you'll get really sick. Marathon day is 17 days away. Don't risk it. Blog about running instead!"

"Wimp."

"Psycho."

"Pantywaist."

"Does anybody use that word anymore?"

I left my gear at work, anyway. Oh well.... I called my wife. She's bringing my shoes. Five quick miles can't hurt.

No comments: